Good Evening Band Parents and Students,
There are many things coming up in the next few weeks. Please take the time to read this entire email so that you and your student know what is happening.
1. Our homecoming parade is this Thursday, October 13th in downtown Huntsville. The band will be in full uniform for this performance; so the band will need to bring their uniform to school that morning. This is a required performance for all band members who are currently eligible.
Here is the schedule:
3:25 Dismiss from classes
3:45 Parade Marching Practice
4:20 Change clothes/get into uniform
4:40 Senior Uniform Inspection (no flip-folders)
4:50 Full Band Uniform Inspection (no flip-folders)
5:00 Load Truck
5:30 Load Buses
5:40 Depart HHS
5:50 Arrive at Parade/Unload
6:00 Form up
6:30 Parade Begins
6:50 Parade Ends/Load Truck
7:10 Depart for HHS
7:15 Arrive at HHS Band Hall/Unload/Go Home!!!
2. This Friday we have a pep rally. The attire will be the same as all of the other pep rallies. The only exception will be for the seniors who wear their senior overalls.
3. Friday, October 14th, we have our next home game. This game is Homecoming so it is a little different. Instead of marching at halftime, the band will be marching before the football game begins. You will see this in the schedule below. If you want to see us march you will have to get to the stadium a little before 7:00pm. Also, mums/garters will not be worn into the stadium by the band students. They must be given to them by their parent after the game begins early in the 1st quarter. The boosters will not be able to carry them into the stadium either because they will be carrying their own student’s mum/garter. Once we are a few minutes into the 1st quarter, I will let everyone know when it is ok to pin the mums/garters onto the students. Thank you for your understanding on this. Students must bring their uniform to school with them in the morning. THEY WILL NOT HAVE TIME AFTER SCHOOL TO GET THEIR UNIFORMS.
Our schedule will be:
3:25 Eat Dinner/Go to Tutorials
*** If you did not purchase a meal through the band boosters bring a sack lunch with you to school
4:00 Get in Uniform
4:15 Senior Uniform Inspection (with Flip-Folders)
4:30 Full Band Uniform Inspection (with Flip-Folders)
4:45 Run through Drill
5:00 Load Truck
5:30 Load Buses
5:45 Depart HHS
6:05 Arrive at Bowers Stadium
6:30 Set Entrance Formation in the stadium
7:00 March the Drill for Pre-Game
*** A few minutes into the game I will give the signal for the mums/garters to be distributed to the students
10:00 Approximate end of game
10:30 Load buses/truck
10:45 Arrive at HHS Band Hall/Unload
10:46 Go Home!!!
4. It is time to get our band uniforms dry cleaned. On Saturday morning, October 15th I need everyone to take their uniform to Town and Country Cleaners on 11th street. They are open 8:30am-12:30pm on Saturday and 7:00am-5:30pm during the week. Please do not take the uniforms anywhere else. Town and Country has been trained on how to clean our uniforms properly and the uniforms might get damaged if you take them somewhere else. Do not give them your hanger, senior chords or the buckles and breastplate from the crossbelts. Only give them the jacket, pants and crossbelts. Please have your student bring the receipt to Mr. Holland or Mr. Twiss no later than 3:45pm on Friday, October 21st. The student will lose their 3rd quarter break privilege that night if they do not turn in the receipt.
5. Tuesday, October 25, is our UIL marching contest at Woodforest Bank Stadium in The Woodlands. EVERYONE who is eligible is to attend this contest. This is a major grade just like any of our other events. If you need to pick up your student for any reason after the competition, please provide us with an emailed or hand written signed note telling us who will pick up your child. We must receive the note or email by 3:30pm on Monday, October 24th.
Here is the schedule:
1:30 Dismiss from classes
1:35 Get into uniform
1:50 Senior Uniform Inspection (No Flip-Folders)
2:00 Full Band Uniform Inspection (No Flip-Folders)
2:10 Run through Drill
2:30 Load Truck
3:00 Load buses
3:10 Depart HHS
4:20 Arrive/Use Restroom
4:40 Unload Truck
5:00 Form up
5:10 Walk to Warm-up
6:20 Load Truck
6:40 Eat Dinner at buses (provided by the Band Booster Club)
7:10 Load Buses
7:15 Depart for HHS
8:15 Arrive at HHS/Unload/Go Home!!!
6. Please continue to sell HMB Cards and get the money turned in. Once you sell all 10 cards and return the money, the boosters can give you more cards to sell if you wish. There are boosters here to take money after our marching practices and on Tuesday mornings before school. If you have unsold cards in your possession and you know that you are not going to sell them, please turn them in to us ASAP. We have others that would like to sell more cards. Also, if you lose them you will have to pay for them; so please turn them in if you are not going to sell them.
7. If your student uses a school owned instrument and you have not yet paid the instrument fee, please take care of that as soon as possible. The fee per semester is now $25. If you did not pay the $40 fee by last Friday please send $25 for the 1stsemester by Friday, November 11th or you may pay $50 for the entire year. Please make checks payable to HHS Band and include phone and driver’s license numbers. This money can be given to Mrs. Jennings or Mr. Holland and does not go to the Boosters.
8. Please turn in your trip intention forms ASAP. They are due Monday, October 17th. We need to know who is going on the trip and who is not. Please turn it in even if it is a no.
9. If you are interested in chaperoning the New York City trip please understand that you must do volunteer hours for the band. Please email Terri Hall at HMB.firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to volunteer. Also, the chaperons pay for their trip just like the students do. It is the same amount as the students but the chaperons only have to sleep 2 people per room. This costs us more but we do not charge the parents more; so it is like receiving a small discount.
John F. Green
HISD Director of Bands
Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band
441 FM 2821 East
Huntsville, Texas 77320
Booster information can always be found online at http://www. huntsvillemilitaryband.com/ boosters.html