Good Morning Parents and Students,
First, congratulations to the Seniors, Class of 2017, on their upcoming graduation! Great job to you and your parents for many years of hard work and dedication to the Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band. I can’t wait to hear about all of the great things you will do once you graduate! Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.
Next, I want to thank the entire band program for another great year! Parents and students, thank you for making it a success. We accomplished some amazing things this year and I can’t wait to build off of that success next year. I am not just talking about contests. While those were successful, they are not the only measure of a band. I continue to be proud of who our students are and how they represent our school and our town. The New York City trip was just one example of that this year.
This is the last two days of regular classes. Let’s finish strong and then we will all be able to relax for the summer.
Here are some end of the year items that we need to take care of:
1. The band banquet is tonight beginning at 6:00pm at the HHS Band Hall. Senior parents, please do not forget that there is a $10 cost at the door to help us with the cost of the meal. Seniors, please turn your senior will forms into me as soon as you get to the banquet so I can look them over. Everyone, remember that the theme for our banquet is Hawaiian so everyone please try to dress the part. However, please make sure everyone is school appropriate as always.
2. Everyone has already received the summer band schedule and next year’s full calendar. Please use these as you schedule appointments, vacations, etc. for this summer and for next year. Remember, marching spots are based largely on attendance.
3. All band lockers must be cleaned out during the final exam time. These must be clean to start next school year. Anything left in a locker after Wednesday will be thrown out so make sure you take home anything that you don’t want to lose.
4. Band-issued combination locks and Blue Band Books are being turned in this week. If your student lost either one of those items they will need to pay for a replacement. Books are $8 and locks are $10. These will be placed on the fees and fines list with the front office if not paid by graduation.
5. All uniforms must be turned in with the $8 dry cleaning fee. The absolute latest that they may be turned in is graduation, Saturday, May 27th. After that, anyone who has not turned theirs in will be put on fees and fines for $550 which is the cost of the uniform.
6. Many people have taken care of their fees and fines that are owed for this school year and past school years. For those that have not, please take care of this as soon as possible. Any money owed us from this school year that has not been paid will be placed on the fees and fines list with the front office. These will be removed once they are paid. These fees may include instrument usage fees, etc. Any money owed to the school may be paid to Mr. Holland.
7. Any money not paid to the band boosters for this school year will still be on your student’s account next year, so if you owe for fundraising money or the $100 band fee please get that paid before the end of the year so that your student does not start the year in the hole. Any money needing to go to the boosters may be put in an envelope and put into the booster box inside the band office.
8. The graduation ceremony is our final performance for the 2016-2017 school year. This year we will be using Wind Symphony and Wind Ensemble members only. It is very important for everyone in those groups to be there. It is this Saturday, May 27th.
We will be wearing white on top and black on bottom. Ladies may wear a black dress but it must be school appropriate. Ladies, please make sure your shoes are not high heels…you will hurt yourself climbing the hill to get into the coliseum…and no one will see your shoes during the performance anyway! Also, the rules for nail polish still apply to this performance. Ladies, you know what these rules are. Gentlemen, please make sure you have shaved so you look dignified and professional.
The schedule is:
7:45 Arrive at Band Hall
8:00 Load Truck
8:20 Load Buses
8:30 Depart HHS
8:45 Arrive at Johnson Coliseum/Unload
10:00 Graduation begins
11:45 Graduation ends/load truck/load buses
12:00 Depart Johnson Coliseum
12:15 Arrive at HHS/Unload
12:30 Finish closing down Band Hall
12:45 Go home for summer!!!
9. GRADUATING SENIORS ONLY…If you would like to continue to receive weekly emails next year, please send me an email telling me that. Otherwise, your email address will be removed.
10. State Solo and Ensemble Contest is Sunday, May 28 and Monday, May 29 in Austin, TX. A schedule will be sent out later today to those students performing at this event.
John F. Green
HISD Director of Bands
Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band
441 FM 2821 East
Huntsville, Texas 77320
Booster information can always be found online at http://www. huntsvillemilitaryband.com/ boosters.html