Good Afternoon Band Parents and Students,
Here are reminders for upcoming events.
1. Friday, February 20th, was our Solo and Ensemble Contest at College Park HS in The Woodlands. Overall, the kids did a great job. All 9 of our medium ensembles came away with 1st division ratings. The kids earned 298 medals on their medium ensembles, small ensembles and solos. We also have 31 students advancing to State Solo and Ensemble Contest in Austin. Congratulations to those who earned medals!
2. Next week we will be having our Pre-UIL Concert in the HHS Auditorium on Tuesday, March 3rd. This is where each band plays their three contest pieces for judges that we have hired. The judges give us comments on how we can improve our music before we perform it for the UIL Region 9 contest in April. This contest involves both the high school and middle school bands. Please remember that this is a required performance and is a major grade for each student. The schedule is as follows for our high school students:
6:20 HHS Concert Band get into uniform in Band Hall
6:40 HHS Symphonic Band get into uniform in Band Hall
6:50 HHS Concert Band Warmup in Choir Room
7:00 HHS Wind Ensemble get into uniform in Band Hall
7:10 HHS Symphonic Band Warmup in Dance Room
7:20 HHS Concert Band Performance
7:20 HHS Wind Symphony get into uniform in Band Hall
7:30 HHS Wind Ensemble Warmup in Choir Room
7:40 HHS Symphonic Band Performance
7:50 HHS Wind Symphony Warmup in Dance Room
8:00 HHS Wind Ensemble Performance
8:20 HHS Wind Symphony Performance
*** Full band uniform for Pre-UIL including all hair of natural color, gentlemen clean shaven, ladies French manicure or clear nail polish, single stud earrings only, no other visible piercings.
3. From this point UIL Concert & Sight Reading Contest is only 4 weeks away. Starting this past Monday, the 23rd we went to the new sectional schedule. One large sectional and one full band rehearsal. Please remember that these sectionals are not optional and they are counted as a major grade. These are no different than our after school rehearsals for marching season in importance. The after school rehearsal schedule will be as follows:
Mondays 3:45-4:45 WS Flutes/Oboe/Clarinets/Alto Sax/Trumpets/Horns
3:45-5:00 Full Symphonic Band
Tuesdays 3:45-4:45 WS B. Cl/Bassoon/Tenor/Bari Sax/Bones/Tones/Tubas/Perc
WE B. Cl/Bassoon/Tenor/Bari Sax/Bones/Tones/Tubas/Perc.
Wednesdays 3:45-5:00 Full Wind Symphony
3:45-4:45 WE Flutes/Oboe/Clarinets/Alto Sax/Trumpets/Horns
SB B. Cl/Bones/Tones/Tubas/Perc.
Thursdays 3:45-5:00 Full Wind Ensemble
3:45-4:45 SB Flutes/Oboe/Clarinets/Alto Sax/Trumpets
4. For those students going on our band trip in May, there will be a mandatory trip meeting on Tuesday, March 17th beginning at 7:00pm. Each child going, along with at least one parent/guardian, must be in attendance for that student to be able to travel with us. This has been on the calendar since our Christmas concert and I am reminding everyone now so you can plan accordingly.
5. HMB Calendars are now going on sale for $10 each!!! This should enable students to sell even more of them. Please encourage/help you student to sell as many as possible toward their trip. They make 100% profit on each calendar sold. One other note on this: Any calendars sold before Monday, February 23rd that have not yet been paid for are still $20. Please get the money for outstanding calendars turned in ASAP.
John F. Green
Director of Bands
Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band
441 FM 2821 East
Huntsville, Texas 77320