Good Morning Band Parents and Students,
We are just beginning our first week of school but we need to start planning for our first pep rally and football game for the band. I hope that everyone is able to get into a routine this week, including school classes, band, etc.
This email is one way I keep both parents and students of the Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band informed of upcoming events and announcements that everyone needs to know. I will only send out one email per week so that your email inbox will not overflow!
If you have received this email in error or do not want to receive these emails, please respond and let me know. Once you are removed from the list, you will not be placed back on.
A few things for this week:
1. Friday, August 29, is our first pep rally. The students must arrive at school in jeans, tennis shoes, green HMB collared shirt (tucked in) with a belt. Also, this is a good time to make sure fingernail polish conforms to our requirements (the students have already reviewed that), hair conforms to requirements and there are not piercings. Consult your handbook if you have questions.
2. Friday, August 29, we also have our first home game. Students must bring their uniform [including black HMB T-shirt, green HMB shorts, all-white socks, marching shoes, pants, jacket, crossbelts, buckles, breastplate, hanging bag and issued hanger] to school with them in the morning. THEY WILL NOT HAVE TIME AFTER SCHOOL TO GET THEIR UNIFORMS.
Our schedule will be:
3:30 Eat Dinner/Go to Tutorials
*** If you did not purchase a meal through the band boosters bring a sack lunch
4:00 Get in Uniform
4:15 Senior Uniform Inspection (with Flip-Folders)
4:30 Full Band Uniform Inspection (with Flip-Folders)
4:45 Run through Drill
5:00 Load Truck
5:30 Load Buses
5:45 Depart HHS
6:05 Arrive at Bowers Stadium
6:30 Form Up
6:45 March into Stadium
7:00 Seated in Stadium
10:00 Approximate end of game
10:30 Load buses/truck
10:45 Arrive at HHS Band Hall/Unload
10:46 Go Home!!!
Please be prompt in picking up your students…we all would like to go home. Thank you.
3. Uniform notes:
· Socks must be either crew length or knee length and may not have ANY color other than white on them. Please do not get socks with grey heels. Also, short socks are not allowed. Please purchase a package of 6 tube or crew-length ALL white socks so that your student has what they need.
· The official black HMB Under Armour shirt is the ONLY shirt worn under the uniform. Failure to have this shirt on in uniform will forfeit the student’s opportunity to travel to performances.
· The official green HMB Mesh Shorts are the ONLY shorts worn under the uniform. Failure to have these shorts on in uniform will forfeit the student’s opportunity to travel to performances.
· All long hair must be French braided or worn up in a tight bun on the top of the head. No hair should touch the collar of the uniform jacket at any time. No bows please. All hair styles will be worn close to the scalp and not be distracting from the uniform. All hair must be a natural color as well. This is for girls AND boys.
· There will be no jewelry worn except the Senior class ring by the Seniors. Otherwise, no earrings, nose rings, eyebrow rings, bracelets, necklaces, watches, etc. Do not allow your student to get a piercing during marching season…wearing a band aid over the piercing is not acceptable.
· All gentlemen will be clean shaven for every performance.
4. Please understand that the band does NOT get 3rd quarter off. There is a chance that they will earn having it off, but there is also a chance that some may individually lose part or all of third quarter. Do not make plans for your student to eat or visit during 3rd quarter. If they earn it, that will be an enjoyable time; however, if they do not earn it, you will not be disappointed now that you know.
5. Please help your student remember their marching clothes for after school practices. They need tennis shoes, shorts and t-shirt so they can stay as cool as possible. What they wear to school is not good for marching conditions.
6. Finally, next week we do not have school on Monday, September 1st, so we WILL have rehearsal on Tuesday, September 2nd. This is the ONLY Tuesday we will have marching practice this fall. Please make arrangements for your student to be here for that day. We will still have rehearsal on Wednesday and Thursday as well. And remember, rehearsals go from 3:45-5:45. Thanks!
I know this is a lot of information, but because this is the first game, there are a number of items that needed to be reviewed. The students have been through all of the above information over the past three weeks of summer band.
I’m looking forward to a great week!
Keep your students eating good food and drinking plenty of water and sports drinks. We had a problem with kids not being able to handle the heat today at marching practice. That won't happen if they eat/drink the right way.
John F. Green
Director of Bands
Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band
441 FM 2821 East
Huntsville, Texas 77320