Good Afternoon Parents and Students,
We have several things coming up that I want to give you a heads up on.
Here are the reminders for the week and upcoming weeks.
1. This week we will be hosting MPMS Solo and Ensemble here at the high school on Friday, February 5th. We will be using mainly sophomores and freshmen to help run this contest. I posted the list of who is working the contest today during lunch so they know who is working. I am also attaching it to this email so you know if your student is working or not. Keep in mind, all of the students on the list volunteered to help. The people working will need to report to the band hall immediately after school and the contest will end around 7:15pm. They need to be wearing their HMB green polo shirt tucked into blue jeans with a belt along with tennis shoes. We will feed them pizza before the contest begins so you won’t have to worry about them being hungry when they are done.
2. Next week Mr. Holland, Mr. Yarber and myself will be attending the Texas Music Educators Association Convention and Clinic in San Antonio. We will not be at school Wednesday, February 10ththrough Friday, February 12th. There will be a substitute teacher during this time. My standards for our students’ behavior remain the same whether we are here or not. Please make sure that your student understands that they need to be courteous in their interactions with the substitute. During this time the students will be allowed to practice their solos and ensembles and their contest music. It is imperative that they take advantage of this time because Solo and Ensemble Contest is the very next week. Some of the students will also be practicing with their piano accompanist. Also, there will be NO LESSONS or SECTIONALS on Wednesday the 10th or Thursday the 11th so please plan accordingly.
3. Friday, February 19th, will be our Solo and Ensemble Contest at College Park HS in The Woodlands. Dress for this contest will be: Solid black clothing on bottom with black dress shoes and black socks, school dress code appropriate white top (no bling). Gentlemen must be clean shaven and all hair needs to be of natural color.
The schedule will be:
1:33 Come to the band hall at the end of 5th period
1:35 Load Instruments
1:40 Change into S&E attire (See above)
2:10 Load buses
2:20 Depart for College Park HS
3:15 Arrive at College Park HS
4:00 Contest begins
9:30 Approximate end of contest/load instruments and buses
10:30 Arrive at HHS/Go Home!!!
4. Each student that is taking a solo to solo and ensemble contest has a piano accompanist. Each student gets to practice with their accompanist two times and then the accompanist plays with them at the contest. The accompanist also has to spend time at home to learn the music just like the students have to learn their solo. Each student is responsible for paying $25 to cover the cost of their accompanist. The money needs to be paid to the band and then we will be paying the accompanists. We are doing it that way for two reasons. First, it will be more organized than each student trying to pay their accompanist. Second, $25 is not the full amount that we are paying them per solo. We are paying the accompanists more but in an effort to keep it as affordable as possible for the students, we are only charging them $25. I know that $25 may seem like a lot but trust me when I say that this is very reasonable for an accompanist these days. We told the students about all of this a while back but I wanted to explain it to everyone to make sure you knew what was going on. If you could please send the $25 with your student by next Tuesday the 9th it would be much appreciated. Cash is fine and if you write a check please make it out to HHS Band and include your Driver’s License # and a phone #. If you need more time to get the money to us simply email me and we can work something out.
5. The students should be practicing on their UIL Concert Contest music. They also have a schedule outlining what music they are responsible for learning. Please help them keep up with what they are responsible for learning. This is not only important to their success but their entire band class as a whole. They will be receiving play off grades each week as per the schedule. These are major grades.
John F. Green
HISD Director of Bands
Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band
441 FM 2821 East
Huntsville, Texas 77320