Good Morning Band Parents and Students,
I hope that everyone had a restful Labor Day Weekend. The band did a great job at halftime on Friday night. There were many good things going on. As always, there are things to improve, so we will be looking to do so this week. Please keep your students practicing. We will be starting playoffs of music by memory tomorrow.
A few things for this week:
1. Friday, September 5, we have our first away game. Students must bring their uniform [including black HMB T-shirt, green HMB shorts, all-white socks, marching shoes, pants, jacket, crossbelts, buckles, breastplate, hanging bag and issued hanger] to school with them in the morning. THEY WILL NOT HAVE TIME AFTER SCHOOL TO GET THEIR UNIFORMS.
Our (updated as of 9/5) schedule will be:
2:15 Dismiss from classes/Get into uniform
*** If you did not purchase a meal through the band boosters bring a sack lunch to take on the bus
2:35 Senior Uniform Inspection (with Flip-Folders)
2:50 Full Band Uniform Inspection (with Flip-Folders)
3:05 Run through Drill
3:20 Load Truck
3:50 Load Buses (Get Booster provided meals on way onto bus)
4:00 Depart HHS
5:30 Arrive at Humble ISD Stadium
6:00 Form Up
6:15 March into Stadium
6:30 Seated in Stadium
9:30 Approximate end of game
10:00 Load buses/truck
10:15 Depart for Huntsville
11:45 Arrive at HHS Band Hall/Unload
11:46 Go Home!!!
Please be prompt in picking up your students…we all would like to go home. Thank you.
2. Uniform notes:
· Socks must be either crew length or knee length and may not have ANY color other than white on them. Please do not get socks with grey heels. Also, short socks are not allowed. Please purchase a package of 6 tube or crew-length ALL white socks so that your student has what they need.
· The official black HMB Under Armour shirt is the ONLY shirt worn under the uniform. Failure to have this shirt on in uniform will forfeit the student’s opportunity to travel to performances.
· The official green HMB Mesh Shorts are the ONLY shorts worn under the uniform. Failure to have these shorts on in uniform will forfeit the student’s opportunity to travel to performances.
· All long hair must be French braided or worn up in a tight bun on the top of the head. No hair should touch the collar of the uniform jacket at any time. No bows please. All hair styles will be worn close to the scalp and not be distracting from the uniform. All hair must be a natural color as well. This is for girls AND boys.
· There will be no jewelry worn except the Senior class ring by the Seniors. Otherwise, no earrings, nose rings, eyebrow rings, bracelets, necklaces, watches, etc. Do not allow your student to get a piercing during marching season…wearing a band aid over the piercing is not acceptable.
· All gentlemen will be clean shaven for every performance.
3. Please remember that the band does NOT get 3rd quarter off. There is a chance that they will earn having it off, but there is also a chance that some may individually lose part or all of third quarter. Do not make plans for your student to eat or visit during 3rd quarter. If they earn it, that will be an enjoyable time; however, if they do not earn it, you will not be disappointed now that you know.
4. Please help your students remember to turn in their private lessons forms to Mr. Yarber as soon as possible. We want your student to have as many opportunities to be as successful as possible.
5. Uniform Agreement forms are due Friday morning. If the forms are not turned in by then; the student will have to sit a portion of 3rd quarter break. Please help your student fill these in and get them turned in. A parent/guardian signature is required.
6. Finally, this week we did not have school on Monday, September 1st, so we WILL have rehearsal on Tuesday, September 2nd (TODAY). This is the ONLY Tuesday we will have marching practice this fall. Please make arrangements for your student to be here today. We will still have rehearsal on Wednesday and Thursday as well. And remember, rehearsals go from 3:45-5:45. Thanks!
Keep your students eating good food and drinking plenty of water and sports drinks.
I have one other piece of information that may be helpful to some of you. If you need to take your student home with you directly after a football game instead of them riding the bus home with us, we simply need something in writing stating that beforehand. You can send a handwritten signed note with your student or you may email us. Please tell us who will be picking up your child so that we will know. We will then make sure your student leaves with that person after the game has concluded.
John F. Green
Director of Bands
Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band
441 FM 2821 East
Huntsville, Texas 77320