Good Afternoon Band Parents and Students,
I hope that the first week of school is going well so far for everyone. We need to start planning now for our first pep rally and football game for the band. They will both be this Friday.
This weekly email is one way I keep both parents and students of the Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band informed of upcoming events and announcements that everyone needs to know. I will only send out one email per week (most weeks) so that your email inbox will not overflow!
If you have received this email in error or do not want to receive these emails, please respond and let me know.
Here are the reminders for this week:
1. Friday, August 26, is our first pep rally. The students must arrive at school in jeans, tennis shoes, green HMB collared shirt (tucked in) with a belt. Also, this is a good time to make sure fingernail polish conforms to our requirements and hair conforms to requirements. Single stud earrings will be allowed and senior class rings for seniors. Hair will be allowed to be down for the pep rallies as long as it is not distracting. (the students have been given this information) Consult your handbook if you have questions.
2. Friday, August 26, we also have our first home game. Students must have all parts to their uniform (including black HMB T-shirt, green HMB shorts, all-white socks, marching shoes, pants, jacket, crossbelts, buckles, breastplate, hanging bag and issued hanger)
Our schedule will be:
3:25 Eat Dinner
*** If you did not purchase a meal through the band boosters bring a sack lunch BEFORE SCHOOL.
*** The front kiosk of the school will not allow you to drop off food at the front.
***You will not be able to drop off a meal after school at the band hall because of the pickup line traffic.
4:05 Get in Uniform
4:25 Senior Uniform Inspection
4:40 Full Band Uniform Inspection
4:50 Run through Drill
5:05 Load Truck
5:35 Load Buses
5:45 Depart HHS
6:05 Arrive at Bowers Stadium
6:30 Form Up
6:45 March into Stadium
7:00 Seated in Stadium
10:30 approximate end of game
10:40 Load buses/truck
11:00 Arrive at HHS Band Hall/Unload
11:05 Go Home!!!
Please be prompt in picking up your students…we all would like to go home. Students should be picked up no later than 30 minutes after we are to arrive back at the band hall. Thank you.
3. Uniform notes:
· Socks must be either crew length or knee length and may not have ANY color other than white on them. Please do not get socks with grey heels. Also, short socks are not allowed. Please purchase a package of 6 tube or crew-length ALL white socks so that your student has what they need.
· The official black HMB Under Armour shirt is the ONLY shirt worn under the uniform. Failure to have this shirt on in uniform will forfeit the student’s opportunity to travel to performances.
· The official green HMB Mesh Shorts are the ONLY shorts worn under the uniform. Failure to have these shorts on in uniform will forfeit the student’s opportunity to travel to performances.
· All long hair must be French braided or worn up in a tight bun on the top of the head. No hair should touch the collar of the uniform jacket at any time. No bows and no colored hair accessories including beads. If they have an all black hair band that will be allowed. They should be mostly using bobby pins and hair colored barrettes or rubber bands. All hair styles will be worn close to the scalp and not be distracting from the uniform. All hair must be a natural color as well. This is for girls AND boys.
· There will be no jewelry worn except the senior class ring by the seniors. Otherwise, no earrings, nose rings, eyebrow rings, bracelets, necklaces, watches, etc. Do not allow your student to get a piercing during marching season…wearing a band aid over the piercing is not acceptable. Only a clear or flesh colored spacer may be worn in earring holes or nose holes.
· All gentlemen will be clean shaven for every performance.
4. Please understand that the band does NOT get 3rd quarter off, they earn must earn it. There is a chance that they will earn having it off, but there is also a chance that some may individually lose part or all of third quarter. Do not make plans for your student to eat or visit during 3rd quarter. If they earn it, that will be an enjoyable time; however, if they do not earn it, you will not be disappointed now that you know.
5. Please make sure that if you are going to chaperon for any of our home or away games that you fill out the volunteer form on the HISD website. Make sure that you select the high school’s posting. Here is the link for that:https://www.applitrack.com/huntsvilleisd/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Volunteers
6. Please help your student remember their marching clothes for after school practices. They need tennis shoes (that lace up), shorts and t-shirt so they can stay as cool as possible. What they wear to school is not good for marching conditions.
I know this is a lot of information, but because this is the first game, there are a number of items that needed to be reviewed. The students have been made aware multiple times about all of this information throughout summer band so don’t let them tell you that this is the 1st time that they have heard of it. I’m looking forward to a great first game!
Keep your students eating good food and drinking plenty of water and sports drinks.
Booster information can always be found online at http://www. huntsvillemilitaryband.com/ boosters.html