Good Afternoon Band Parents and Students,
We got the first football game under our belts on Friday night. That is a great feeling for all concerned. Freshmen got the first game jitters out and now know what is going on. The directors can now sleep at night… Ha… Also, our new parents that chaperoned now have some experience riding with the kids to games. There were many positives to take away from Friday night. Overall, the band did a pretty good job at halftime on Friday night. There is lots of improvement to be made but it was a good first effort. Also, the band did a good job with how they conducted themselves during 3rd quarter break. As always, I am just as concerned with how our students act as I am with how we march and play. Let’s work together to help make our kids the finest in Huntsville!!!
A few things for this week:
1. Friday, September 4, we have our next game. Students must bring their uniform [including black HMB T-shirt, green HMB shorts, all-white socks, marching shoes, pants, jacket, crossbelts, buckles, breastplate, hanging bag and issued hanger] to school with them in the morning. THEY WILL NOT HAVE TIME AFTER SCHOOL TO GET THEIR UNIFORMS.
Our schedule will be:
3:30 Eat Dinner/Go to Tutorials
*** If you did not purchase a meal through the band boosters bring a sack lunch
4:00 Get in Uniform
4:15 Senior Uniform Inspection (with Flip-Folders)
4:30 Full Band Uniform Inspection (with Flip-Folders)
4:45 Run through Drill
5:00 Load Truck
5:30 Load Buses
5:45 Depart HHS
6:05 Arrive at Bowers Stadium
6:30 Form Up
6:45 March into Stadium
7:00 Seated in Stadium
10:00 Approximate end of game
10:30 Load buses/truck
10:45 Arrive at HHS Band Hall/Unload
10:46 Go Home!!!
Please be prompt in picking up your students…we all would like to go home. The students will call you when we are leaving the stadium so you know exactly when we will be back to the school. Thank you.
2. Uniform notes:
* Socks must be either crew length or knee length and may not have ANY color other than white on them. Please do not get socks with grey heels. Also, short socks are not allowed. Please purchase a package of 6 tube or crew-length ALL white socks so that your student has what they need.
* The official black HMB Under Armour shirt is the ONLY shirt worn under the uniform. Failure to have this shirt on in uniform will forfeit the student’s opportunity to travel to performances.
* The official green HMB Mesh Shorts are the ONLY shorts worn under the uniform. Failure to have these shorts on in uniform will forfeit the student’s opportunity to travel to performances.
* All long hair must be French braided or worn up in a tight bun on the top of the head. No hair should touch the collar of the uniform jacket at any time. No bows please. All hair styles will be worn close to the scalp and not be distracting from the uniform. All hair must be a natural color as well. This is for girls AND boys.
* There will be no jewelry worn except the Senior class ring by the Seniors. Otherwise, no earrings, nose rings, eyebrow rings, bracelets, necklaces, watches, etc. Do not allow your student to get a piercing during marching season…wearing a band aid over the piercing is not acceptable.
* All gentlemen will be clean shaven for every performance.
3. Please remember that the band does NOT get 3rd quarter off. There is a chance that they will earn having it off, but there is also a chance that some may individually lose part or all of third quarter. This results from different infractions throughout the week. Do not make plans for your student to eat or visit during 3rd quarter. If they earn it, that will be an enjoyable time; however, if they do not earn it, you will not be disappointed now that you know.
4. Please help your students remember to turn in their private lessons forms to Mr. Yarber as soon as possible. We want your student to have as many opportunities to be as successful as possible. Also, our band has set a goal of having 55% of the band participate in private lessons. Please try to help us reach that goal. As of yesterday we only had 32% of the band enrolled in lessons. If you have any questions about private lesson contact Mr. Yarber at email@example.com
5. Some of you may be interested in signing up to work the concession stand at the football games. You can raise money towards your child’s future band trips by doing so. If you would like more information about working the concession stand please email Nanci Yamada at firstname.lastname@example.org You can also get messages from her at www.remind.com Her number is 81010 and you text@mrsyamada to that number.
6. Another fundraising opportunity is our HMB Card that you can sell. A Band Booster is here to give out cards and take up money for cards each Tuesday before and after school. For each card sold your child earns $10 towards their trip ledger!!! That adds up fast and people really like to buy these discount cards so sell, sell, sell!!!
7. Finally, next week we will not have school on Monday, September 7th, so we WILL have rehearsal on Tuesday, September 8th. This is the ONLY Tuesday we will have marching practice this fall. Please make arrangements for your student to be at rehearsal that day. Having rehearsal on Tuesday will allow us all to be able to enjoy the Labor Day holiday and not have to come up to the school. We will still have rehearsal on Wednesday and Thursday as well. And remember, rehearsals go from 3:45-5:45. Thanks!
Keep your students eating good food and drinking plenty of water and sports drinks. Also, please keep your students practicing. The students are in the process of doing playoffs of music by memory. Help them be prepared so that they keep great grades in band.
John F. Green
HISD Director of Bands
Huntsville Hornet Military Marching Band
441 FM 2821 East
Huntsville, Texas 77320